Great recipe for Summer cookouts and when feeding family and guests. Can be made from left over rice and beans if all you have is a handful of each. Asparagus may be out of season and hard to find, so substitute with a simple Basil Pesto or grilled onion, slice of fresh tomato and a Mayo-Mustard smear.
VEGAN BURGER SLIDERS
Makes 9 burgers
3 cups cooked short grain brown rice
12 oz. cooked chickpeas, mashed
1 medium onion, chopped (1 ½ cups)
1 medium carrot, shredded (½ cup)
½ cup ground sunflower seeds
½ cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
⅓ cup dried parsley
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup hemp powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1. Stir together all ingredients in large bowl. Shape 9 1/2-inch-thick patties.
2. Coat grill topper with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Cook patties 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned on outside and cooked through on inside. (Use wide spatula to flip burgers; they can be fragile.)
Yield: 4 to 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups).
1 pound asparagus
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste.
Salt to taste
1. Grill the asparagus until just tender. Remove from heat, allow to cool and cut into small pieces.
1. Transfer the asparagus to a food processor and add the garlic, walnuts, 2 tablespoons of the oil, a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of water.
2. Process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container if necessary, and gradually add the remaining oil and small amounts of water to moisten, if necessary.
3. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste, pulse one last time, and serve over Veggie burgers or pasta.